We’ve been living in a plague house this week. Little E became ill on Sunday, and we’ve both had milder versions of her symptoms. As it happened, we were supposed to be on holiday this week, so while we had to cancel going away, it did mean we could both be around to look after her.
So comfort food has been the order of the week: lots of eggs and potatoes in various forms.
- Lamb and split pea stew (Khoresh) from Persiana
- Chicken chili, loosely from Serious Eats
- Sourdough English muffins from Brilliant Bread
- Sourdough from Bread, Cake, Doughnut, Pudding
- Hot Cross Buns (but forgot the fruit!) from Brilliant Bread, and then
- Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter pudding, loosely from Nigel Slater’s Kitchen Diaries II
Without a recipe:
- Takeaway Byron burgers 🙂
- Cod with potatoes, leeks and fennel, a bit inspired by @bartsfishtales on Instagram
- Bubble and squeak
- The Evening Standard’s 50 best bakeries in London
- Orangette: everyday cake with ricotta and raspberries
- Lottie & Doof has weighed in on the Piglet sexist cookbook discussion. ‘You’re boring’ suggests we could all benefit from more diversity, more constructive criticism, and less groupthink in food writing
- OFM have published a list of 50 ‘hot’ food people, places and things.
- this four ingredient Nutella mousse feels like it’s a way of accidentally consuming an entire jar of Nutella without noticing
- Mildly intrigued by this wheat-free vegan seeded loaf
- If you’re after a good food read, I pretty much agree with this Food52 list of great food narratives (and this Buzzfeed of great food films).