This was one of those weeks where it was tempting to do nothing but grumble about the British summer: grey skies, occasional rain, and only the warmer nights and Summer-holiday-quiet London commute to remind you that this is August and not April.
But summer definitely returned this weekend, and we made the most of it, with tomato salads, ice-cream cones and meals outside.
- Pork shoulder ragu from Dinner: A Love Story with homemade tagliatelle (Sunday night dinner)
- Gateau au yaourt with lemon – Chocolate and Zucchini
- Anna Jones: Sweet potato quinoa bowls – liberally adapted this, keeping the sweet potato, coconut cream and chickpeas, but adding in shredded cold roast chicken and chicken gravy with shredded cabbage as the greens. No need for quinoa or rice – just a bit of naan on the side to dip into the coconut sauce. One of my favourite templates for a weeknight dinner – this was on the dinner in about 10 minutes.
Without a recipe:
- Tacos: shredded pork, avocado, creme fraiche, lettuce, cheese
- Pork ragu and pasta
- Chicken curry – leftover roast chicken + Spice Tailor sauce + boiled potatoes, cherry toms and peas
- Yay – Butcher Baker Baby is back and blogging!
- Felicity Cloake specifies the Perfect Caprese salad
- I like the New York Times’ idea of 5 modern ‘mother’ sauces (although not sure about the pepper sauce this side of the Atlantic).
- I love fried artichoke hearts, but can never bring myself to deal with the faff of making them. But maybe Tommi Miers’ recipe can persuade me.
- I don’t have any blackcurrant leaves, but this post sort of persuades me I should find some (plus a great reminder of the Heidi Swanson cherry coconut tart recipe): Nutmegs, Seven – Blackcurrant Leaf ice-cream with cherry and coconut tart
- Summer recipes bookmarked: Smitten Kitchen’s summer squash pizza (courgette + gruyere = yum); In Jennie’s Kitchen Peach and Basil Panzanella; Nigel Slater’s courgette and ricotta with pine kernels and basil; Thomasina Miers’ lamb and mint burgers; Yotam Ottolenghi’s Five-spice pork belly with peach, raspberry and watercress salad; and not seasonal, but still: Double Chocolate Nutella muffins from The Cake Hunter;