I went for my first run in a couple of weeks this morning, and coming past the mulberry trees in the park, noticed there were a lot of ripe ones, which was enough to make me adjust the route to double back and pick them at the end.
A few minutes and many stained fingers later, I hve a very small bag of mulberries. I don’t have much time to deal with them today, so other than snacking on a few, I will freeze them, and hope to make jam with them when I have picked some more in a few days.
My Riverford delivery this week contained tomatillos, sweetcorn and coriander, and sparked a few Mexican-inspired meals. A wahaca meal kit to make chipotle roast chicken pieces, with tomatillo salsa and sweetcorn; and then smitten kitchen carnitas, in the slow cooker, with the leftover salsa and pinto beans.
- Apricot tart – for French potluck lunch at work – a hybrid recipe of Bread Ahead shortcrust pastry + Richard Bertinet almond cream + quartered Natoora French apricots, all baked and then glazed with a little apricot jam and honey
- Wahaca tomato and smoky chipotle taco meal kit – more about them here
- Homesick Texan carnitas, via Smitten Kitchen
- Green beans with freekeh and tahini – from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty More
- Milk bread – my recipe here
- Justin Gellatly sourdough – Bread, Cake, Doughnut, Pudding
- Slow-roasted carrots – Five O’Clock Apron
Without a recipe:
- Chicken stir fry with sugar snap peas and pointed cabbage
- Lamb kofte (from freezer) with rice, yoghurt and slow-roast carrots (above)
- Burgers with tomato salad, green bean salad (above) and roast carrots
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloni (from the freezer)
- The Miracle of the Modern Banana – all bananas are essentially one species – which is a problem when they become vulnerable to disease. Part 1, part 2 and part 3 in a short banana series from National Geographic.
- Bill Granger on breakfasts (which could be lunches too)
- Dan Doherty’s new breakfast-inspired book looks very good (his instagram feed is a good advert for the recipes!): Toast, Hash, Roast, Mash
- Summer recipes – more bookmarks for Thomasina Miers’ courgette recipes (there are 5 lurking in the fridge right now); Heidi’s roasted potato salad; summer corn salad from new-to-me blog Home is where the Hart Is
- And late to this, but an excellent piece by Bee Wilson on the impact of her sister’s eating disorder.